My Favorite Sonnet

I've been reading a ton (instead of writing). Finished Open by Andre Agassi and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - loved both of them. But I always go back to my first great love, the words that I can't live without - William Shakespeare.

Here's my favorite sonnet:

Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed,
The dear repose for limbs with travel tired;
But then begins a journey in my head
To work my mind, when body's work's expired:
For then my thoughts--from far where I abide--
Intend a zealous pilgrimage to thee,
And keep my drooping eyelids open wide,
Looking on darkness which the blind do see:
Save that my soul's imaginary sight
Presents thy shadow to my sightless view,
Which, like a jewel hung in ghastly night,
Makes black night beauteous, and her old face new.
Lo! thus, by day my limbs, by night my mind,
For thee, and for myself, no quiet find.

What author has inspired you the most? Allowed your heart to open and fall in love with words?

Popular Posts